Every house owner hates to see mold and dampness. But, as much as you try to discard them off they seem to find a way to your homes when the temperature and humidity increases. And when it comes to the basement, it is “pretty much” impossible to see them without molds and mildews. Here, you must have seen we have used the words “pretty much” as with the help of best dehumidifier for basement it is possible to combat this situation and keep these serial culprits at bay!
But, before we go any further on this topic it is extremely crucial to know the importance of a basement in houses. A basement can be used as a refuge to protect you and your family members during natural calamities like storms. You can even employ it as an additional room where children can play games, store things, or even use it as an additional living space. In fact, there are several house owners who believe the basement is as significant space as any other in the house.
The problem is, due to its location which is usually below ground, it becomes very damp in there which makes it more vulnerable to humidity and moisture. Due to the presence of molds and mildews in the basement, there is every likelihood of it causing damage to your entire house and also result in unsafe health conditions.
This makes it all the more important for you to take definitive steps to combat the moisture buildup in the basement. As suggested earlier in this section, the perfect solution to this problem is to get a dehumidifier for the basement.
The amazing part? This ingenious appliance can work as a boon in getting rid of surplus moisture from the air. Ultimately resulting in a moisture-free environment….It even keeps the temperature regulated which makes you comfortable while sitting in the basement area. If you have a basement in your household, getting a dehumidifier is a must for you! We promise after reading this content piece, you will be able to opt for the best dehumidifier for the basement.
You will also get up close with the different things that you would like to know about dehumidifiers. In the forthcoming sections of this write-up, we have provided dehumidifier reviews that will help you to select the best one from the rest and ensure that your house is free from these irritating pests.
|Name||Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier||TOSOT 70 Pint Energy Star Dehumidifier||Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier||hOmeLabs Portable Small Dehumidifier||Friedrich D70BP 70 Pint Dehumidifier||Keystone KSTAD50B 50-Pint Portable Dehumidifier|
|Dimensions||11.6 x 15 x 24.4″||14.8 x 11.4 x 24″||6.6 x 9 x 12.7″||15.4 x 11 x 24.3″||11.6 x 15 x 24.4″||23.2 x 15.4 x 10.8″|
|Size||70 Pint||70 Pint||9 ounce||70 Pint||70 Pint||50 Pint|
|Coverage||Up to 4000 Sq. Ft.||4500 Sq. Ft. High and ECO||Up to 220 Sq. Ft.||4000 Sq. Ft.||Up to 4000 Sq. Ft.||Up to 3000 Sq. Ft.|
|Capacity||1.64 Gal||9 Gal||16 oz.||1.8 Gal||1.64 Gal||1.64 Gal|
|View on amazon||View on amazon||View on amazon||View on amazon||View on amazon||View on amazon|
* Scroll to get a complete overview of the 6 dehumidifiers.
- Comes with a portable design which makes it easy to carry
- Accumulates 70 pints on a daily basis
- Works in low temperature
- Highly energy efficient which results in saving lots of energy and electricity bill
- Auto shut off function to counter sudden power cut-off
- Comes in white color which matches with the aesthetic design of your house
- Quieter than other 70 pint dehumidifiers available in the market – only 51 dB
- Ideal for damp basements
- Comes with a humidistat which enables you to set the desired humidity level that needs to be reached
- Full bucket alert signals the time to empty the tank
- Wifi connectivity with smartphone
- Does not come with the feature of automatic restart
- No presence of pump to draw water into a sink
- The sink size is smaller so you need to empty it often
- Some users report inconsistent humidity readings
- Not the most easiest of appliances to empty
- Absence of in-built LED light to warn about the occurrence of defrosting
- Does not connect with the Wi-Fi easily as it requires lots of practice and patience
This appliance is able to get rid of a maximum of 70 pints of excessive moisture in the time duration of 24 hours.
This very reason makes it an ideal fit for extra damp surfaces like basement.
The great benefit of this product is that it can manage curbing the moisture in areas of maximum 4,500 square feet.
This particular trait makes it one of the best buy dehumidifiers for basements.
It comes with a 2 to 4 hour timer which assists in reducing the operating costs while also ensuring that you have an advantage when it comes to personalizing the operation of the dehumidifier.
This is your ideal dehumidifier with pump that lets you get rid of the water to a maximum of 15 feet away in any direction.
It is energy certified which helps you to save big on your monthly electricity bills.
During a power outage, you do not need to reset the options that you set earlier as it commences the operation from the point it left.
The design of the dehumidifier is a great plus point.
It comes with an LED display and touch controls which makes it highly user-friendly.
- During a power outage, the dehumidifier automatically restarts with the pre-selected settings
- Internal pump present in this appliance provides automatic disposal of the collected water in any direction you select to a maximum 15 feet away
- Energy star certification ensures that your electricity bill gets curtailed
- Comes with automatic defrost control which makes it work even in spaces which are low as ice
- Less noisy in comparison to other dehumidifiers for basement available in the market producing only 52 decibels of noise
- Solid build
- Comes with a large capacity of 70 pints
- Provides good humidity range between 35 to 80%
- Comes with 6-feet power cord
- The pump hose port is very hard
- Suitable only for basement that consists of a drain
- Slightly heavy and bulky
- Sometimes can get noisy especially when used in small spaces
This dehumidifier is tailor-made for small spaces of maximum 150-square feet like a home, bedroom, office, boat, caravan, or a tiny basement.It is a small dehumidifier but packaged to do big things as per your requirements.With the help of advanced Peltier thermoelectric technology, this appliance carries out whisper quiet operation.
It is also highly energy efficient.
Due to its very huge 18-ounce water tank it is able to accumulate a maximum of 9-ounces per day.
It delivers optimal work performance between the range of 59-86 degrees Fahrenheit.
The control panel present in this appliance provides simple user-friendly on-off buttons.
The great news: There is a green light which glows when the dehumidifier is operating.
There is a full indicator light that illuminates when the tank gets full and shuts off the unit automatically.
After emptying the tank, the dehumidifier provides optimal performance by reducing humidity, window condensation, odors, dampness, mold, etc.
It comes in the size of 7 x 6 x 11 inches which makes it highly portable.
All in all, it is the best commercial dehumidifier available in the market currently.
- Provides high quality value
- Great purchase at the price offered
- Employs Thermo-Electric Peltier technology
- Ideal for getting rid of damp, mold, and moisture from small space
- Extremely lightweight
- Comes in a compact and portable design
- Capacity of 16-ounce water tank
- Gets rid of a maximum of 9-ounces of water on a daily basis
- Automatic shut-off function
- Very user-friendly way to dispense water tank
- Comes with an indicator light that signals full tank
- Energy efficient
- Consumes very less power
- Not suitable for temperatures below 41 degrees Fahrenheit
- If you have a problem of lots of mold unfortunately this appliance is not that powerful to show results
- Comes with a short 3-foot cord
- Absence of humidity display
- Filter information not available
This is one of the most sleek and functional appliances that you will ever see for your basement.It comes with a lethal compressor that is effective to get rid of a maximum 70-pints of moisture on a daily basis for a medium to a large-sized room measuring 2,500 to 4,000 square feet.
This dehumidifier can be effectively used in cellar, garage, living room, or basement.
It is one of the most versatile products available in the market since it provides a customized range between 35% to 85%. You can use it to reduce humidity between the Fahrenheit temperatures of 41 to 95 degrees.
In case, you wish to initiate an automatic start and stop feature simply press the 24-hour timer button.
It also has convenient wheels and handles that make it easy to move from one room to another. There is also a whisper-quiet fan that does not let you know about the noise, albeit in smaller rooms the noise is apparent.
- Comes at a very cost-effective pricing
- Extra-large 70 pint capacity
- Gets rid of moisture, odors, and allergens quite swiftly and effectively
- Ideal for 2,500 to 4,000 square feet rooms and spaces like basement
- Energy star certified
- User-friendly electronic control panel
- Precise humidity levels displayed on the digital display
- Automatic restart and shut off option
- Quiet operation
- Comes with washable filters
- Absence of drain hose in the dehumidifier
- Certain users have complained about the compressor buzzing noise which is quite loud in smaller spaces
- The plastic components used in this appliance are not durable enough
- The water tank gets pretty heavy when it is filled with water
If you are worried about high moisture in your basement this appliance will do the trick for you!
It provides very user-friendly operation with ingenious digital touch controls.
This makes it easy for you to set the desired humidity level between the range of 30 to 90 percent.
It can hold a maximum of 16 pints of moisture.
In order to take maximum advantage of this dehumidifier it is advised to take advantage of the built-in drain pump for continuous functioning.
It also ensures that there is no need to empty the buckets anymore.
There is an in-built 24-hour timer in the appliance that makes it energy efficient.
After a power outage, the dehumidifier retakes its operation from where it left without any intervention.
You also get notified of the indoor air quality at all times as it depicts the current temperature and humidity levels at the display.
- Comes with a 24-hour automatic timer that aids you in saving electricity costs
- Gets rid of a maximum 70 pints of moisture from the air on a daily basis
- It is energy certified
- Consists of an in-built drain pump which enables continuous operation, if opted
- After a power outage, the dehumidifier retakes its operation from where it left without any intervention
- Sometimes it can get a bit noisy during operation.
This dehumidifier as the name suggests is able to get rid of 50 pints of moisture from the air on a daily basis.
There are various great features present in it like an auto-restart function that aids you in saving power, a continuous draining option, and highly durable rolling casters for easy movement.
It also consists of an LED display that enables users to manage their turbo, standard, and auto-defrost settings.
This ingenious product is perfect for a medium-sized 3,000 square foot space between the temperature range of 41 to 98 degrees Fahrenheit.
You also get clean filter alert whenever it is time to change the washable dust filter.
In case of a power outage, the auto-restart function ensures that the process starts from where it stopped.
It comes with a relatively quiet 55 dB operation which is hardly noticeable in large basements. But, if the size of the basement is small, you can hear the noise loud.
- Great value for money
- Affordable pricing
- Comes with a large 50-pint capacity
- Perfect for rooms of maximum 3,000 square feet
- Removes moisture effectively
- Energy star certified
- User-friendly LED control panel and display
- Low noise
- Comes with an extra long 7.22-foot power cord
- No presence of continuous drain hose
- It can be tricky to reinstall the water tank
- Comes with a very hard to read instructional manual
- A bit loud if used in smaller rooms
A Perfect Buying Guide of Dehumidifiers for the Basement
Basics of Basement Dehumidifier
While embarking on the journey of exploring the best dehumidifiers for the basement it is quite important to, first of all, understand what is a basement dehumidifier? So, let us start off with our layman’s definition of this term.
It is nothing but an appliance that can be employed in large areas, including garages, basements, or crawl space units where the temperature is pretty less than other parts of your home. The only problem is, it is a space where you can easily see humidity and moisture building up swiftly.
The next important question that you will have is: What is the purpose behind purchasing a basement dehumidifier? To answer this question, it is significant for you to comprehend the fact that the area in the basement is covered with excessive moisture. To get rid of it from the air and drain it through a hose or reservoir where it is removed from concern, a basement dehumidifier is used.
Always remember: A damp, musty basement can be hazardous for you and your family. The moisture which is present can transform into mold and mildew which in turn results in damaging the walls, ceiling tiles, and carpets. It can even lead to respiratory issues for you and your family. With time, this moisture can make other substances in your household rotten and rusted.
It can even invite insects and other small critters to become a huge problem for your house. By getting the right basement dehumidifier can help you control the moisture buildup. This, in turn, results in a much healthier environment in your house.
Do you want your family members to get sick or see any permanent damage in your household property? No sane person would want that to happen. This very reason makes the appliance extremely useful for your house.
Now that you have understood the basics of basement dehumidifier it is important to address the question: How does a dehumidifier work? There are two ways to make a dehumidifier work:
- Through refrigeration;
- Through absorption/adsorption.
Look at the latest YouTube video to get a fair idea of the working mechanism of a dehumidifier.
Now, that you have understood the working mechanism of a dehumidifier in the next section it is time to focus our attention on the signs that point to a humid basement.
Different Signs That Showcase A Humid Basement
Damp aroma in the air
A humid basement is mostly characterized by a damp aroma which is due to the presence of mold and mildew in the air. You can easily identify mold as it leaves little dark spots across the walls. They show their presence felt when there is excessive levels of humidity in the air in areas where there is no proper ventilation.
Signs of condensation on the walls and floors
You might see signs of condensation on the walls and floors. This includes small drops of water, fog on the glass or wall. With the help of a good humidifier, it is possible to soak all the moisture and ensure that the place is dry.
The problem of water runoff
This is a problem that occurs mostly in the basement. It might be due to water seeping or due to poor water pipe fittings. Alternatively, it can even be due to the accumulation of water during the rainy season.
If you see any rotten wood in your basement, it is time to get a dehumidifier. It has usually been observed that wood starts to rot when it retains moisture for a very long time. With the help of a good dehumidifier, it is possible to get rid of this excessive moisture.
Now, that you have seen the signs that showcase a humid basement it is time to look at the criteria that will help you select the best dehumidifiers for the basement.
Criteria to Watch Out for While Purchasing the Best Dehumidifier for Basement
Before making your final purchase decision pertaining to the dehumidifier for the basement it is time to ponder on certain things that will help you take the final call.
Select a dehumidifier that is able to get rid of a minimum of 20 pints of moisture from the air every day
The pint capacity is one of the most important purchasing criteria that needs to be fulfilled. Ensure that it is able to get rid of the right quantity of moisture for the requisite sq.ft. area.
Select a dehumidifier that has a large tank capacity
If your dehumidifier is able to hold more water, the less you will need to empty the tank. Remember, to check that the collection tank or bucket is in sync with the pint capacity for best results.
Select a dehumidifier that has an easy to use control panel
Opt for an appliance that either consist of electronic controls or manual controls. Electronic controls are available either in digital form or consist of a touch panel. But, electronic controls lose out their settings during power cuts whereas this is not the case with manual controls. Thanks to the recent advancements in technology, now you get auto power on-off function even in case of an unexpected cut-off.
Select a portable dehumidifier that is easy to carry from one room to another easily
The dehumidifier selected needs to have a minimum of one handle and caster wheels for easy movement.
Select a dehumidifier that consists of washable filters and catches mold and mildew
The dehumidifier should be washable at home with the capability of catching mold and mildew. It needs to be easy to remove, consists of washable filters and pre-filters.
Select a dehumidifier that is quiet
Always select a dehumidifier that makes less noise. There are certain appliances in the market that make distracting noise during the continuous process of air filtration. So, select wisely!
Select a dehumidifier that works well in low temperature
For a dehumidifier to perform well in the basement it needs to work well in low temperature. This is a very important criterion that can help you to select the right dehumidifier for your basement.
Now, that you have decided your best basement dehumidifier, in this last section we will address the question: What size dehumidifier do I need?
Determining the Right Capacity of Dehumidifier to Purchase for your Basement
It is extremely vital to get the right capacity of the dehumidifier for your basement. You will require an appliance that can cover up the entire space. If your basement is not huge, then you may not require a large capacity option. The capacity of the dehumidifier that you purchase for your basement depends on these factors:
Moderately damp conditions
In case, your basement is moderately damp, then you will need a dehumidifier that can manage 10 pints of water removed from the air in a 500 square-foot area. If you have additional space for every 500 square feet you will need a minimum of four supplementary pints. For example, a 1,500 square feet area will require a dehumidifier that is able to get rid of 18 pints of water.
Very damp conditions
In extremely damp conditions, where the amount of humidity is very high, you need an appliance that can extract 12-pints per 500 square feet of water. For every additional 500 square feet add 5 pints.
If you have a basement where you can puddle of water like in the shower area, then you will require a dehumidifier that can get rid of 14 pints of water for every 500 square feet. For every additional 500 square feet, you will require an extra 6 pints of capacity.
Extremely wet conditions
If you reside in an area where the basement floods at a time or there is a water buildup for various reasons, you will need the highest level capacity dehumidifier. This appliance should be able to get rid of 16 pints of water for every 500 square feet. With an extra 7-pints for every additional 500 square feet.