Using electricity and gas in a conscious and efficient way means consuming better and saving your business, even at an insurance level.
Some energy efficiency measures also meet regulatory requirements, allow maintenance and prevent downtime by verifying the correct installation and the proper functioning of the plants and contribute to the safety of the company.
From the energy supply to the monitoring of consumption and power peaks, to the efficiency analysis of the plants, there are several actions you can put in place to limit the operating costs of your business and reduce waste.
Several shortcomings in business energy management are pointed out as the main problems affecting energy efficiency and savings. Among the indications are the insufficient analysis of the energy efficiency indexes, the ignorance of the incidence of each energy carrier in total consumption. The lack of identification of physical indexes and their ordering by priority, the lack of identification of workers that affect more in the saving and the energetic efficiency, the insufficient disclosure of the best experiences.
The analyses carried out in several companies, show the insufficient level of energy management in many of them, as well as the possibilities of reducing energy costs through the creation of technical-organizational capacities to efficiently manage energy. This can be achieved if an energy management system is effectively applied.
Energy Management Systems
Management or energy management, as a subsystem of business management, encompasses the management and assurance activities of the managerial function that give the entity the ability to efficiently meet its energy needs, based on understanding the energy efficiency as the achievement of the requirements established by the client with the lowest possible energy expenditure and the minimum environmental pollution for this concept.
A business energy management system consists of the organizational structure, procedures, processes, and resources necessary for its implementation.
The most important thing to achieve energy efficiency in a company is not only that there is an energy saving plan, but also an energy management system that guarantees continuous improvement:
- A continuous system of identification of opportunities is more important than the detection of an isolated opportunity.
- For the success of an energy saving program, the commitment of the top management of the company for that purpose is essential.
- The cost of energy functions or services must be controlled and not the cost of primary energy.
- The cost of energy functions or services must be controlled as part of the cost of the product or service. Efforts should also be concentrated on controlling the main energy functions, organizing the program aimed at achieving results and specific goals, and making the greatest effort within the program to install measuring equipment.
Among The Most Frequent Errors That Are Incurred, The Following Can Be Pointed Out:
- The effects are dealt with and not the causes of the problems.
- The efforts are isolated, and there is no integral improvement in the whole system.
- Vital points are not attacked.
- Savings potentials are not detected and quantified adequately.
- The solutions are considered definitive.
- Erroneous beliefs about how to solve problems.
Among The Barriers To The Success Of Energy Management, The Following May Be Mentioned:
- The best people to assume a certain function within the program is excused for being overloaded.
- Departmental managers do not offer enough time to their subordinates for this task.
- The program leader has no time or support or has other priorities.
- The management does not recognize the effort of the work team or offer positive reinforcements.
- The management is not patient and judges the work only for the immediate results.
- It is not possible to form a team with good interdisciplinary or interdepartmental balance.
- There is a lack of communication with decision-making levels.
- The address ignores the recommendations derived from the program.
- The work team departs from the methodology and the systematic approach.
- The leaders of the work team are managers and inhibit the performance of the rest of the members.
Total Efficient Energy Management
The Technology of Total Energy Efficient Management (TGTEE) consists of a package of procedures, technical-organizational tools, and specialized software that – applied continuously and with the philosophy of total quality management-, allows to establish new habits of direction, control, diagnosis, and use of energy, aimed at taking advantage of all opportunities for saving, conservation, and reduction of energy costs for a business.
The TGTEE differs from the services offered in this field in that it is a process of reengineering the energy management of the company; its objective is not only to diagnose and leave an elaborated program but to elevate the technical-organizational capacities of the company to be self-sufficient in the management by the reduction of its energy costs; it adds the socio-environmental study, the management of maintenance, the technology management and the elements of the basic functions of the administration that affect the efficient use of energy.