Nothing can be quite as tranquil and relaxing as a rooftop garden. Not only does it provide an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but it also adds color and beauty to your home or apartment. But even the most beautiful rooftop garden can become dull and monotonous if you don’t take the time to spruce it up.
Adding lights to your rooftop haven is one way to make it come alive. Whether you’re looking for aesthetically pleasing lights or want to create an inviting atmosphere, there are plenty of creative ways to bring much-needed cheer to your rooftop.
Things to Consider When Adding Light Fixtures
- Consider the space size and your budget before investing in new lights.
- Think about the overall style you’re trying to achieve—is it a romantic, cozy vibe or a modern, industrial one?
- Look for energy-efficient styles that will last long term and save you money.
- Installation can be tricky and expensive, so consider hiring lighting experts at blingle.com if you’re unsure or don’t have the necessary tools.
Different Lights to Brighten Up Your Rooftop Garden
1. String Lights:
Add string lights around the perimeter of your garden to create an intimate, cozy atmosphere. String lights come in various colors and styles, so you can easily match them to your decor. For a more dramatic look, consider hanging lights in clusters or groupings.
Types of String Lights:
- Fairy Lights: These dainty, delicate lights give off a subtle glow and can be used to create a whimsical look.
- Globe String Lights: These are perfect if you’re looking for a bright and cheerful look.
- Edison String Lights: These vintage bulbs give off a warm glow and will add a touch of nostalgia to your garden.
- Icicle String Lights: If your garden has a modern feel, opt for these bright and bold lights.
2. Paper Lanterns:
Hang paper lanterns to provide a soft, dreamy glow. If you’re looking for more of a statement piece, try hanging larger lanterns from Shepherd’s hooks or tree branches. Most paper lanterns also have battery-operated lights, so you don’t have to worry about running wires through your garden.
Types of Hanging Lanterns:
- Round Paper Lanterns: These classic lanterns are perfect for adding a soft glow to your garden.
- Star Paper Lanterns: These festive lights will add some sparkle and shine to your outdoor oasis.
- Chinese Paper Lanterns: If you want something more colorful, these bright and bold lanterns will make an impression.
Incorporate spotlights to add drama and brightness to your rooftop garden. Spotlights are best used to highlight certain features in your garden, like trees, shrubs, or water features. You can also use them to illuminate pathways or walkways for extra safety when walking late at night.
Types of Spotlights:
- LED Spotlights: These lights are easy to install and offer long-lasting illumination.
- Solar Spotlights: Solar-powered spotlights are excellent if you don’t have access to an outdoor power outlet.
- Halogen Spotlights: Halogen lights are best used to highlight your garden’s statues or other decorative features.
4. Pathway Lights:
Add pathway lights to create a brighter, more inviting atmosphere. These are great for guiding guests through the garden and adding a bit of extra light to the area.
Types of Pathway Lights:
- Solar-powered path lights: If you’re looking for an energy-efficient option, these solar-powered lights.
- LED Path Lights: LED lights are known for their long-lasting illumination and low energy consumption.
- Bollard Lights: Bollard lights are perfect for creating an inviting atmosphere and drawing attention to pathways or walkways.
Use candles for a subtle, festive glow. Candles are an inexpensive way to add atmosphere and romance to your garden. Consider adding floating candles in a pool or birdbath for an extra special touch.
Types of Candlelights:
- Tealights: Perfect for adding a bit of warmth to your garden with their delicate, flickering light.
- Votive Candles: These candles come in glass holders and give a soft, comforting glow.
- Floating Candles: Opt for floating candles in pools or birdbaths for an ethereal look.
6. Led Strips:
Incorporate LED strips for a more dramatic look. LED strips can light up walls, fences, and other surfaces. They give off a bright and bold glow that is sure to make an impact.
Types of LED Strips:
- Color Changing RGB: Opt for color-changing RGB lights If you want something more eye-catching, opt for color-changing RGB lights.
- Waterproof LED Strips: These waterproof strips are durable and long-lasting for use in wet areas.
- Flexible LED Strips: Flexible LED strips can be used to light up corners and other awkward spaces.
To Wrap Things Up
The type of lighting you should choose should depend on the size and design of your space. If you have a smaller area, then string lights or paper lanterns can work wonders in creating an inviting atmosphere. For larger gardens, spotlights or floodlights are best suited to brighten the entire area.
With the right lighting, you can quickly transform your rooftop garden into a charming space—no matter the time of day. Whether you’re looking for a more subtle effect or want something that will make a bold statement, there are plenty of creative ways to brighten up your rooftop garden. Go ahead and add some sparkle to your rooftop garden today!